Monday, 28 February 2011

(Tell me why) I don't like Sundays

Since I was a child Sundays have filled me with dread, it is etched in my brain and after all these years I still dread Sundays. It started off being all my mothers doing but like any good woman Jennifer has picked up the reigns to maintain the torture.

In the 1970's we would visit my auntie Pat & uncle Billy every Sunday, where we would be forced to eat grown up food, food that had been laid out on a table, glass bowls containing mainly green stuff, I never had the green stuff it tasted like grass and why would I eat grass? My brothers and I steered clear of other dodgy food items such as sandwiches cut into triangles, pies, quiche, and lots of pickled vegetables like onions and beetroot.. I don't know if you can judge people by what they eat but uncle Billy is now auntie Billy...
One bowl and one plate however would always catch my eye, "crisps and chocolate," we would always dig into those but mother and auntie Pat would be watching like hawks, making sure we chose some grass flavoured things and had at least 2 triangle shaped sandwiches. I swear to this day the food we managed to bury in the back garden started to grow, we buried it every Sunday, deep too, so deep we could put our heads in the hole!
When we returned home my mother not content with our daily food intake would force us to eat jelly and combination's of jelly, jelly with fruit, jelly with condensed milk, jelly with jelly and her pride and joy especially if we had visitors would be a fish shaped jelly!

Once the jelly was finished it would be in the bath so mother could torture us with the pre-Monday washing of hair, it would inevitably leave my 2 brothers and I crying as she scrubbed hard! I don't think they did animal experiments in those days either because when you got that shampoo in your eyes it stung so bad, or was that just me?
After all that it would be bedtime, every Sunday and every day bed time was no later than 19:00, but Sunday was the worst day as it was just one big count down of chore, digging, chore and digging till bed time.
 
                                     Great childhood memory, Amazin raisin and Toffo's

So where does Jennifer come into this? She does exactly the same, she has her rituals, we visit her parents, they feed the kids, we go home Jennifer feeds the kids, she gets them ready for bed and then that's it Sunday is over and I am left dreading work next day just like I dreaded school.

Last Sunday I dug my heels in and surprisingly Jennifer gave in without a fight, she said "fine we will do what you want to do, I will leave it with you"!
Sunday was upon us and I was up early to start the new regime, so was Jennifer! I hadn't banked on her thinking that me taking over the weekend duties would mean she would be free to do what she wanted to do, namely go shopping with her friends followed by lunch in town..
What do I do know, I cried! "Whatever you have planned," came the reply! Just before the door shut I heard her shout "you do what you want every Sunday so why should this one be different!"
I wasn't going to be beaten, I headed off with the kids to the park, visited Jennifer's parents had some dinner and just about managed to get back before Jennifer.
"Nice day" I inquired? "Lovely thank you", "what have you been up to", me? "I took the kids to the park, visited your parents, went to the pub for a quick half with your brother and dad,  watched the football, and had a lovely tuna salad when we got back to your mothers. Oh and I have just put the kids to bed. I said all of this like a man who was independent and proud of it.

"I thought you were going to do something different this weekend" she said!

Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment