Tuesday, 1 March 2011

Information overload

Gadgets, I love my gadgets! I don't know where I would be without my collection of shiny, ergonomic technical lovelies.
They organize my days, open windows into new worlds and more importantly make me feel like I am top of my game.
Yesterday I had the opportunity to get my hands on and play around with the new Kindle, a piece of kit that has seemed to pass me by, how did this happen! It is a great bit of technology, so slim, so functional and in my eyes down right sexy. It has the capacity to hold 3500 books, you can have newspapers sent to you, read it in glaring sunshine (which is always handy in Birmingham) how did I miss this, how have I wandered around in my techno world not knowing I could have this? That's it I have been wondering without purpose, I must be slipping.....
I made a calendar appointment for myself immediately bumping two sets of clients to Jennifer, she appeared free in her calendar, she always does as she keeps a written record!  With my now free time I fired up the macbook and looked to update or download something, something that would make my life easier, give me my comfort blanket back!


It didn't take me long to find the thing I was looking for, an online calendar that holds all public holidays and can be synced to my phone! This is a must have, I will never miss another thing again. I have never known the date of Good Friday, Mothers Day, Easter or any of the numerous public holidays that happen out of the blue. Well that isn't going to happen again, I now have my calendar updated with all public holidays set to warn me 1 week, 2 days and 1 day prior to the event, I'm up to speed.
I am going to be one step ahead of Jeniffer too, who takes great pleasure in being really annoyed that I forgot another public holiday was upon us, like I said it isn't so much forgetting it is just not knowing!


Last night my first alarm sounded warning me that an event was on the horizon, it woke both of us! I managed to mute the phone and go back to sleep, two minutes later the phone lit up the room as another reminder came in, I lay there thinking this must be a busy public holiday month, how close was I to missing these dates! Jennifer however was not impressed with the fact I had 24x7 data streams finding their way to my phone and warned me one more interruption would find me in the spare room with my phone! 
Now here is the dilemma, do I turn off my link to the outside world or leave it on in case something happens out there that I am either needed for or I need to know? I am still strangely disturbed that I wasn't aware that Michael Jackson had passed away until 10 hours after the tragic event, I vowed at the time I would never be left out of the loop again!
I couldn't believe it two minutes pass and the phone lights the room up again! This time Jeniffer is upright in bed "off or out!" It was a no brainer, I was out of there with my phone...

This morning I woke up to find my back ached and my eyes gave away the sleepless night checking my phone just in case something was happening I should be aware of. How did this happen?
I remember, it was the updates to my new calendar, I need to check that I thought, and that was all I remember thinking until I bolted out of bed, I'm late! Damn no! I called out "Jennifer," nothing, she must be down stairs. I raced to get ready that is when I looked at the time on my phone 04:45! I'm not late, but I see daylight and hear traffic running! I ran downstairs phone in hand rattling through the menu to find my appointments for the day, nothing not one appointment, this can't be right, surely?
I arrived in the kitchen to silence, one thing caught my eye, Jennifer's naughty note stuck to the fridge! They are bright yellow stickies and it contained writing!
"Alex, you kept me up all night, couldn't wake you and couldn't wait for you either. I have the car you will need to get yourself a taxi or get the train but be in the office for 10:30 for your first appointment."
I gazed at my phone in disbelief not only had it managed to keep me awake most of the night it had also failed to wake me up at my usual time! On closer inspection I had several calendar reminders waiting for me and the time on my phone according to clock in the kitchen was 8 hours out!
I opened my first calendar reminder, "Mardi Gras New Orleans 08-03-2011," "Romania Spring Festival 01-03-2011!" That calendar I had downloaded and synced to my phone was a world calendar of events synced to eastern US time, it didn't appear to have one UK event, although it could do I just don't know where to look as I still don't know when Mothers day falls....
I stumbled into the office having missed my first two appointments, back aching, tired eyes, several ££'s lighter from the taxi but safe in the knowledge that it is Mardi Gras next week. Enjoy it New Orleans......

Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment